In the 21st century, the world is witnessing rapid advancements in Artificial Intelligence that are reshaping societies, economies, and cultures on a global scale. As AI becomes increasingly integrated into our daily lives, it poses both opportunities and challenges for the formation of a cohesive global culture.
Boston Global Forum and Michael Dukakis Institute contribute a research proposal aims to investigate the impact of AI on global culture, explore strategies for building a more inclusive and interconnected global culture in the age of AI, and align the research with the principles of AI World Society.
The primary objectives of this research, in alignment with AIWS principles, are as follows:
- To Understand the Impact of AI on Global Culture: Analyze how AI technologies, within the framework of AIWS, are influencing cultural practices, values, and identities worldwide.
- To Identify Challenges and Barriers: Investigate the challenges and barriers that AI, as part of AIWS, may pose to the development of a harmonious global culture.
- To Explore Strategies for Building a Global Culture: Develop preliminary strategies and recommendations for fostering a global culture that embraces the positive aspects of AI while mitigating potential negative consequences, in accordance with AIWS values.
To achieve these objectives within the shortened timeframe, a focused research approach will be employed:
- Literature Review: Conduct a rapid review of academic literature, reports, and case studies related to AI’s impact on culture, focusing on both global and regional perspectives and incorporating AIWS principles.
- Surveys and Interviews: Administer expedited surveys and conduct focused interviews with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds to gather key insights into their perceptions and experiences regarding AI and culture, considering AIWS values.
- Content Analysis: Analyze select cultural content, such as films, literature, art, and social media, to provide snapshots of how AI is represented and interpreted within various cultural contexts, while aligning with AIWS guidelines.
- Comparative Cultural Studies: Conduct rapid comparative studies of AI adoption and cultural adaptation in different regions to identify initial commonalities and differences, with a view to harmonizing cultural diversity within AIWS.
This research is expected to provide preliminary insights and recommendations, in accordance with AIWS principles:
- Insights into AI’s Impact on Culture: Initial understanding of how AI technologies, within the framework of AIWS, are reshaping cultural practices and identities on a global scale.
- Identification of Challenges: Identification of potential initial challenges and barriers that AI, guided by AIWS, may pose to the development of a cohesive global culture.
- Preliminary Strategies for Building Global Culture: Development of initial practical strategies and recommendations for building a more inclusive and interconnected global culture in the age of AI, in alignment with AIWS principles.